Frequently Asked Questions - Social
What social activities take place?
Social events include the Annual Dinner and Dance (Ceilidh); an annual camp; hut, barn and youth hostel weekends; monthly folk evenings at our Clubhouse; quiz nights; games evenings (both indoor and outdoor); slide shows; all section outdoor events such as multi-activity relays; and general inter-sectional get-togethers.
Individual sections also organise social events for people who participate in their particular activity but other club members (who perhaps only participate in that activity occasionally) are often welcome to attend.
How can I find out what's going on?
Our quarterly programme is available on our website and members of the Club are sent a paper copy at the beginning of each quarter. Members can also subscribe to a Social email list and receive the latest news about activities.
Where do social events take place?
- Many of our activities such as slide shows, quiz nights, games evenings, and general get-togethers take place in our club house in Richmond at 17 New Road.
- Our Annual Dinner and Dance has been held in various locations around the region and for the last two years it has been held at Richmondshire Cricket Club.
- Club camps are held through the North East and North West Regions the most recent being in the Lake District and Northumberland.
- The last multi-section relay weekend was held in 2008 in the Lake District and the next in 2010 will be held in the Peak District.
- We have an annual hut weekend in the winter in Seathwaite in Borrowdale.
- In November 2009 we had a barn weekend in Malham and in 2010 we have booked Elterwater youth hostel for a weekend in November.
A wide range of members take part in social activities. Some of our events such as the Annual Dinner and Dance are restricted to over 16s but many events such as club camps and games evenings are open to all ages and attract several families.
Members often also bring guests to social events and we welcome this provided we have the capacity.
How can I help?
Swaledale Outdoor Club is run by volunteers. There are many tasks that members can assist with such as helping with the Swaledale Marathon, maintenance tasks at our clubhouse, booking camp sites and huts and helping with catering at events.
We always welcome new ideas so if you are willing to organise a social event then contact the Social Secretary or another Committee member who will give you support and advice.
The Club is managed by a Management Committee whose members are elected each year by our Annual General Meeting. Committee members are always glad of support – please contact the Chairman or another Committee member if you have a particular interest say in helping to run and maintain the clubhouse, publicity, producing the newsletter and programme, finance or arranging social events. There are often vacancies on the Management Committee so you might wish to stand for one of the posts.